Key Information for cooks:
- Store food at 41F or below
- Prepare food at the event as much as possible
- Don't handle raw food directly
- Use gloves when cooking and handle food with tongs, or other clean utensils not having been in contact with raw food.
- Bring multiple sets of tongs to ensure plenty of clean utensils for replacement multiple times during the event.
- Ensure chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Verify proper operation of thermometers. An ice bath can be used to verify temperature reading of 32F.
- Do not participate in cooking should you become ill.
- Bring a bleach bucket and rinse bucket (recommended)
- A bleach bucket is a tub capable of holding a gallon of water mixed with one teaspoon of bleach used to sanitize utensils.
- Rinse bucket contains clean rinse water
- NOTE: If your recipe is intensely HOT, or contains known food allergens such as peanuts, please provide adequate warning signage to inform guests.
- Cooking platform of your choice (propane grill, Hibachi, pellet, briquettes, fryers, etc.).
- NOTE: Cooks are responsible for proper removal of ALL residual cooking materials remaining from the event such as briquettes, oil, etc.
- DO NOT DISCARD MATERIALS SUCH AS BRIQUETTES OR FRYER OIL AT ANY LOCATION OF THE PARK.
- ANY DAMAGE TO THE GROUNDS RESULTING FROM IMPROPER MANAGEMENT OF THESE OR OTHER MATERIALS IS THE COOK'S RESPONSIBILITY TO REPAIR OR REPLACE AS DEEMED APPROPRIATE BY THE MERIDIAN PARKS DEPT.
- NOTE: If using a fryer, a sufficient air space must exist between the fryer and the park grounds to ensure no scorching of the sod. Any residual damage to park sod is the responsibility of the cook/s to resolve with the Meridian Parks Dept. It is strongly recommended that at least 12" of clearance exists between the bottom of the fryer and the grounds to prevent sod damage. Placing a fryer directly on plywood and placed directly on the ground does NOT allow sufficient air space to dissipate extreme heat, and WILL damage sod, so please take appropriate measures to ensure adequate clearance between hot cooking surfaces and the park grounds.
- Fire extinguisher (if possible).
- Portable generators are allowed at the park for grills requiring electricity. Park electricity is not available for grills as it is dedicated to other equipment, nor is it in proximity of grilling areas.
- Gloves are required for cooking and food handling per Central District Health.
- Spare cooking fuel
- Spray bottle of water for those occasional flare ups...
- Multiple sets of tongs for food handling (please use separate sets of utensils for raw uncooked food, and cooked food. Also change out utensils multiple times to prevent potential cross-contamination.
- Shade canopy
- Coolers (with easy to read thermometer for any coolers containing food to be cooked and served).
- Tables and/or table cloths
- Serving boats (these can be purchased at Cash N Carry or other restaurant supply outlets).
- Wet wipes
- Sun screen
- Signage to identify your recipes
Ready to cook?
Head on over to the Contact page and get signed up!!
There you'll find detailed information regarding participation.
Please register each cook via the Registration form located on the Contact page.
Registration is necessary for planning purposes, and ensures eligibility for receipt of any donated wings.
All cooks should review the following short food handling and safety videos courtesy of Central District Health.
Each food safety video is only a few minutes in length, and helps ensure proper food handling and safety.
Join us for the 14th annual wing off - Saturday, June 20th
breakfast (for cooks and staff only) will be available from 7am to 9am thanks to Mr. Phil Evans and the Meridian Kiwanis!!
Cooking and don't see your name below?
Please contact us
Our goal is 70 cooks this year so sign up and help us reach our goal. Every bit of grilling horsepower helps!
We're at 78% of goal (thanks to Billy!!), and now only need 15 more cooks to reach our goal!!!
If your name or a cook on your team is not listed below, and you are planning to cook, please sign up via the Cooks page, and let others interested in cooking also know.
NOTE: Only registered cooks are eligible to receive wings donated to the event by our gracious sponsors!
Thank you Tyson Foods, Sysco Foods, and FSA!
Names grey'd out below are notofficially registered.
|Count||First Name||Last Name|
|47||Paul "B.B. Wolfe"||Hazen|